Sunday 18 September 2011

DIY Making in the summertime

I had the pleasure of planning a series of workshops and events at Site Gallery, Sheffield during this summer simply named 'DIY Summer at Site', and I squeezed in some cheeky moments to join in the making and diy-ing. It definitely quenched my thirst for learning some new tricks, DIY Summer exposed me to new techniques which I'd love to employ later. I had the joy of working with Crow and Dunnage screenprinters to make my (shameful to say first ever) screenprint, on a tshirt, of a caravan!



Secondly I joined in with a crockery workshop run by Lianne Mellor of Mellorware, namely 'Crocolage' a lovely combination of collage with transfer decals and glazes, onto a 'pop' mug, cereal bowl and plate. I once had a chintsy ship cup so very similar to this and it mysteriously disappeared. After a few years of pining it was a great day receving this ship mug back from the Mellorware kiln, so similar to the first that I can rest easy. Plus I have a trout in the bottom of my cereal bowl which I defy anyone to say isn't ace.


 Earlier this year Bloc Projects in Sheffield ran a Collage Party with artist Elizabeth Rowe, and I had such a great time that I asked Elizabeth to return to Sheffield to run a larger scale Collage Party in Site. I was full of a bad cold but still absolutely loved it. We collaged the gallery walls and even the gallery exterior - and this time around some of the cuttings and collages were amazingly intricate, some disturbing and others almost accidentally beautiful.


Collage Party at Bloc Projects



No comments:

Post a Comment